Jay Gosselin has been a student of character-based leadership for as long as he can remember. He believes that the development of character is the most important factor in building effective leaders, organizations and communities. His passion for leadership development led him to founding MentorU and the Discover Year program, through which his mission is to help people and organizations thrive.
The insight Jay has gathered from coaching hundreds of teams and over 15,000 people enables him to deliver relevant, engaging and inspiring talks. Jay weaves together stories of rejection, persistence and triumph from travels through 51 countries and experiences in 19 different jobs to create a feeling of hope and excitement for his audiences. Jay’s greatest strength is his ability to connect authentically with all kinds of people and to create a safe and collaborative space to do honest, meaningful work.
Connect with Jay
“Jay has an incredible presence on stage. He knows how to draw people in, and he keeps the audience hanging on the edge of their seats throughout his talks. He consistently delivers engaging, meaningful and original content.”
3 Steps to Thriving
What allows certain people to find satisfaction and meaning, while others toil endlessly without ever truly achieving a sense of purpose in their work or life? In this talk, Jay explores what he calls the “Explorer” mindset.
Human exploration of what we are good at and what we care about is a lifelong process and applies to both individuals and organizations. Three fundamental principles show up time and time again among people who are thriving: facing fears and taking action with imperfect information; approaching life with open-mindedness and striving for objectives that align with our authentic motivations.
- Explore the benefits of choosing to pursue learning rather than achievement.
- Understand what human flourishing looks and feels like.
- Learn strategies to create more meaning and fulfillment in your life and organization.
Build Better Relationships
The ability to confide in and depend on those around us is a common requirement for all people to thrive. Yet, somehow, few people truly understand the behaviours and environment that enable us to build trusting relationships. In this talk, Jay explores research from psychology as well as anecdotal experiences to help audiences gain a deeper understanding of how to build more trusting relationships with clients, colleagues and family members alike.
- Explore what it means to share deep interpersonal trust with another person.
- Understand the conditions under which interpersonal trust can flourish.
- Learn skills to build deeper trust with others.
Communicate More Effectively with Empathy
Human beings have a tendency to believe that other people want us to treat them the same way we want to be treated. While “treat others as you expect to be treated” is generally good advice when it comes to fundamental human values such as compassion, respect and dignity, effective communication calls for more advanced skills. In this talk, Jay explores personality types and explain how to improve your communication with people who don’t think like you.
- Explore the ways in which different personal values shape our thoughts and communication.
- Understand how to adapt your communication to other people’s needs.
- Learn skills to communicate more effectively with others and improve your relationships.
Leading GenZ: #SharedResponsibility
There is no shortage of research or dialogue surrounding the differences in workplace values and behaviours between Baby Boomers, Gen X, Millennials and now GenZ. Having worked with hundreds of organizations and thousands of professionals of all ages, Jay has been able to identify meaningful insights into some of the
causes of intergenerational frustration. In this talk, Jay shares his perspective on the root cause of these frustrations, as well as some simple and actionable (yet not easy!) solutions to improve communication, productivity and well-being in your workplace.
- Explore the barriers to constructive intergenerational communication and teamwork.
- Understand the attitudes and behaviours that will help your team flourish.
- Learn how to implement these attitudes and behaviours more effectively in your team.